The Refresh Appalachia - Greenbrier Valley Grown
Food Hub Collaborative
We are excited to announce that the Greenbrier Valley Grown Food Hub in Southeastern West Virginia and Refresh Appalachia’s Food Hub in Southwestern West Virginia are joining forces. Together, we look forward to growing markets for more producers across southern West Virginia and expanding access to local food.
Both oranganizations started and ran their own food hubs in 2017, jointly grossing over $200,000. To reach financial sustainability and improve efficiency the organizations decided to combine operations starting in 2018. The combined food hub is now planning and implementing key activities such as production planning, post-harvest handling and food safety, marketing, sales, and delivery across southern West Virginia.
The partnership will continue to collectively grow and support our existing aggregation and distribution activities but will also rely on key partnerships with existing distributors in the region. Together, we aim to open new market options and enrich relationships between producers, buyers, consumers, and our regional communities.
There are several ways to buy our products:
Refresh Appalachia's Meat Sale: Place your order here for local, humanely raised pastured meats! We've teamed up with some of the best of West Virginia's farmers (Black Oak Holler Farm, Swift Level Fine Meats, Noni's Farm, and of course our own farms at Refresh Appalachia) to bring you this amazing all-natural pork, chicken, beef, lamb and local trout. Proceeds help support our beginning farmer training programs at Refresh Appalachia.
Food Service Distribution: Our truck delivers weekly to Huntington, Charleston, Williamson, and areas in between. Restaurants, grocery stores and food service customers can order a range of items our our seasonal price list. Most produce is harvested only 24-48 hours before delivery! Contact us now to become a customer
Farm Share Subscription Program benefits:
- Participation in a Farm Share allows you to eat with a sense of adventure!
- Explore your local food system and discover products unique to Southern West Virginia.
- Connects you with your local farmer and food system. 1,000 miles fresher!
- Support the local economy, we source from over 40 different farms across West Virginia!
- Discounts are applied to farm share products when compared to the retail market or other farmers market prices, you save money! Saves time and eliminates shopping, your bag of goodies will be ready every week.
- Recipes are provided weekly with suggestions for preparing the food in every share!
- Grab n’ go! Skip the long lines each week at pick up! Your order is ready!
Mini Markets: We partner with retailers, corner stores and restaurants to offer produce in places where fresh food is hard to come by. We help business owners to set up a produce area in their store, and then supply the food. Contact us for details
Refresh Appalachia is currently Good Agricultural Practices (GAP) certified on one of its farms, and working towards certifying all of our farms. We ask all our partner farms to be trained in GAP and to use our Food Safety Checklist to improve their on-farm food safety practices. We prioritize sourcing from farms that use sustainable farming practices, including organic or biological pest control, natural fertilizers and cover crops.